Intro
Zeng.
Loves Singapore and Gippsland, Vic, Australia.
Am experiencing the four seasons of the year for this first time in my life.
Got the chance to wear winter clothes for the first time too...
Got the chance to switch on the heater in the day and at night to keep warm...
Got the chance to get extremely dry skin and understand that we can never get the best of both worlds...
Got to see places where there's more cows than people, more trees than buildings, more love than scams...
Sometimes misses hot and humid and unpredictably rainy weather...
Constantly misses the love for me from the little red dot...
PROFILE
Learning in an instituition called university...
To be precise, the place is called Monash University
To be more exact, it's called Monash University, Gippsland campus
To be very clear, I'm studying in Monash University, Gippsland campus, undertaking BA (Psych and Humans)
To paint the most descriptive picture, my main interest is in education.
But I'm learning about psychology, sociology (mostly under Aussie context) and History-politcs for now.
Social justice issues, politics, education, environmental issues, social realities and things like that intrigues me...
For additional information, I'm not doing that well most of the time.
But don't you dare judge!
There's ups and downs and you never know how high up I can get...
I don't know too but we'll find out...
It's a constant struggle but,
It's never too old to learn.
Never too poor to school.
Never too stupid to think.
Sweet Talks
Archives
June 5, 2011
Social Justice (and one's social position)... 9:15 AM
I was reading up on social justice and came across the following excerpt from
Cortese, A. (2004) "A Social Ethics Approach to Social Problems", Walls and Bridges. New York: State University of New York Press: 1-19. I've read this a couple of times before when I was doing my Social Justice unit in Uni. I feel that I can very much relate to this author. The following was written by one of Cortese's students:
My experiences in life and social class persuade me to view the world as just, honest and peaceful. Social class is determined by economic indices such as occupation, education, and income. Further, our society also stratifies by skin color. Although I do not have my own income, I can relate my opportunities to my father's fortunes. I am a white female whose father's income is above average. I have received the best possible education all my life and assume to have a successful occupation in the future.
Although money or social class can't buy happiness, it has brought me a lot of opportunities to influence me to view the world as just. For example, my neighbourhood consists of middle class, white families. Everyone in the area is a good role model and there is little rebellion, crime, anger, or revenge. I was not exposed to the neighborhood like the inmates [at the New Mexico State penitentiary (class field trip)] where I had to protect myself or my property. Therefore, I see the world as peaceful. Furthermore, since public schools are divided by districts, I went to a school with all of those motivated, positive people. Our school had plenty of funding (a fair share of taxes came to us) and we had excessive alumni and parental support.
In the school district across town, where most of the lower-class students attended, there was very little funding and support. Their lack of education led to other factors like crime, unemployment, and poor income while my school educated me and prepared me for the future. I haven't had to struggle to find jobs or internships and this influences my view of a just world.
Finally, my father's income allows me to have material items, as well as, opportunities. I have never had to struggle or save to buy something and I have never known a bill that wasn't paid. This security kept peace within my family. There was never struggles or arguments over who left the light on, who made a long-distance call, or who spent more on shopping or gambling. Financial issues cause domestic violence, abuse, and divorce. I have never faced these confrontations.
I know I have lived in a bubble, but at my level, you become naive to what is happening in the rest of the world. I have never struggled financially. I have never experienced racism. I have never been involved in excessive violence. My parents are Mr. and Mrs. Brady and I am happy. Although others are struggling, my social class and experiences lead me to believe that this is a just world. Maybe I need a reality check!

Although life is not a bed of roses, my life is really pretty good. So I'm still trying to figure out more about the topic of social justice.