Dear all,
You may think that it's just another Saturday or that it's just another public holiday (for those who have to work on Saturday) or that it's just another supposedly public holiday but still have to work day, but it's Singapore's NATIONAL DAY! So, happy national day!
It's the first time in my life I am not in Singapore on National Day. I feel that I'm not that patriotic that I'd die for my country yet, but I do feel nationalistic. I feel that I'm attached to that humid and highly populated country and I do feel a need to hang out the flag (though we don't do so every year cos my mum's the official boss in the house for such stuff) and watch the national day parade during dinner time. It's silly cos I do fall asleep in recent years watching the parade and wondering if they would come out with something more interesting that appeals to those who can't be at the parade square, but I do feel that on certain ocassions we have to do certain things to make that occassion more meaningful. Like we need to collect angbao as Chinese celebrating CNY. Like we need to wear more formal clothes for formal occassions like wedding banquets (hee...). So yeah, on the ocassion of National Day, we should get out with friends and "celebrate" national day. Maybe buy a cake with Singapore's flag design and cut and eat! Haha... well well, someone who misses home THAT MUCH will think of this idea. (That's me by the way!)
Ok, also, though I don't have TV in this house (I still intend to buy just that I am such a procrastinator...), I know that the olympics is on! Oh I also heard from LWS that there was Euro 2008 previously but that one I really did not find out more than knowing that it was going on. So yeah, watch Olympics k! Cos I got no TV here so I really really hope that I can watch lor... but nvm. I believe somehow or rather I will find out about the results... =D
If someone is interested or love me enough, can take a picture of ur tv screen with the rank of Singapore's medals one of these days and send me? Haha... I feel like seeing that to really know that Olympics is going on. Well, just saying. HAha... don't need to la. Ok I sound super contradictory but DON'T NEED TO cos I just want you guys to take note of the news and tv screen showing number of singapore's medals. You think we can reach our target envisioned by government? You think sports school will churn out some fantastic results? Apparently, sports is a very important feature of societies. Unfortunately, I haven't been paying attention to this particular topic in first year sociology thus I can't tell you much about it here. When I've found out, I'd write about its importance again. So meanwhile, enjoy the start of sem, the holidays, the anxiety of looking for a job, the national day (holiday), the Olympics fever and other things that you're into now!


Missing everyone very much!
Luv,
Me
p/s: I've been reading Neil Humphreys' books recently. They're really great and hilarious and easy to read. If you want to celebrate national day but don't know what to do, get the books and read it!
Book 1:
Notes from an Even Smaller Island. Book 2:
Scribbles from the Same Island. Book 3:
Final Notes from a Great Island: A Farewell Tour of Singapore. OR if you want to get the edited 3-in-1 version, there's
Complete Notes From Singapore The Omnibus Editionhttp://www.neilhumphreys.net/